One of my go-to sandwiches is bacon-lettuce-tomato, otherwise known as BLT. There’s nothing quite like a BLT with crispy bacon, fresh green lettuce, and a slice of garden fresh tomato until you taste this delicious BLT salad. The roasted tomatoes and homemade croutons along with green leaf lettuce and the awesome bacon make this salad one to savor every last bite. I don’t want to forget about the drizzled avocado dressing because it adds an extra boost of flavor.
The nutritional information below comes from using regular bacon, and the sodium bandit here is actually what makes this salad so delicious – the bacon. The bacon is baked instead of fried, so that saves a bit on calories, and there is a healthier option by substituting extra lean turkey bacon with a slight difference in flavor or by using low-sodium bacon. The roasted grape tomatoes are broken down and the sweetness comes together with the velvety smoothness of the dressing and the savory bacon to create a salad you’ll want to make more often than you should.
If you try this recipe, and I hope you do, leave a comment and post your photos of your salad on social media. Don’t forget to tag #southerncooked because I love seeing what you’ve created.
BLT Salad with Avocado Dressing
Yield 4 servings
Reinventing a classic sandwich into a delicious salad topped with zesty avocado dressing and packed with flavor.
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 3 cups loosely packed romaine lettuce
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 12 ounces bread loaf cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium size ripe avocado, cut into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bacon slices in a single layer on a sheet pan, and place in oven and bake bacon until crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove bacon from pan, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Process avocado, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Place bread cubes and tomatoes on sheet pan; toss to coat in bacon drippings. Arrange in an even layer, and sprinkle with pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake at 400°F until bread is golden and toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Add lettuce and bacon to bread and tomato mixture, and toss to combine. Drizzle evenly with avocado dressing, and serve immediately.
Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 18.74 g
Saturated Fat 4.199 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 1265 mg
Total Carbohydrates 54.21 g
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 11.56 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.