Finger lickin’ good pretty much defines Southern food, and pork ribs are not exception. Any type of rib, really. These country-style pork ribs are so easy to make in the crock pot, they’re perfect to round out the Easter Dinner Series. Prepared in a slow cooker where they braise for hours in a vegetable juice cocktail and seasoned with aromatic herbs, these pork ribs are fork-tender.
Have you grabbed the napkins, yet? It’s okay if you haven’t because you’ll want every last drop of the sauce that lingers on your fingers. Time to spend with friends and family on a holiday is coveted, so letting the crock pot do the cooking is almost as good as having a private chef.
Thyme and rosemary are the perfect herbs for pork, so it’s only natural that they add something special to these ribs. Molasses are thick and sticky, not to mention difficult to pour all you need from the measuring cup. I suggest spraying the cup with non-stick cooking spray, and the molasses will pour easily, and you will get every last drip. I hope you enjoy these ribs as much as I. Come back and leave a comment to let me know how they turned out for you. Bon appétit!
Country-Style Pork Ribs
Yield 6 servings
Prepared in a slow cooker where they braise for hours in a vegetable juice cocktail and seasoned with aromatic herbs, these pork ribs are fork-tender.
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds country-style pork ribs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail (such as V-8 juice)
- 1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepperr
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- Place onion in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker. Place ribs on top of onion in cooker. In a medium bowl stir together remaining ingredients. Reserve 1 cup juice mixture for sauce; cover and chill. Pour remaining juice mixture over ribs in the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- For sauce, heat reserved juice mixture to bowling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Transfer ribs to serving platter; discard cooking liquid. Serve sauce with ribs.
Substitutions: Vegetable stock or beef stock can be substituted for vegetable juice cocktail.
Courses Main Course
Serving Size 6 oz. pork + 1/4 cup sauce
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.