This Mango Broccoli Salad has to be one of my favorite [green] salads of all time. The crunchy broccoli and cashews combined with the sweetness of the mangos and mandarin oranges and all pulled together with an orange laced buttermilk ranch dressing. Yum! It just doesn’t get much better for a springtime salad.
Broccoli is the base of this salad, so I used a bag of fresh broccoli that was already cut into large flowerets and chopped it into smaller pieces. To the broccoli, I added a large mango that I had peeled and diced. When choosing your mango, don’t go by the color. When ripe, the mango should have a fruity aroma at the stems and give slightly when gently squeezed. To dice the mango, just cut it into three pieces, lengthwise, with the center piece being very narrow; you’re cutting around the seed in the center. Then, slice the mango into cubes while still attached to the peeling, much like you would an avocado, and remove the mango cubes with a spoon.
Next comes the cashews, my favorite nut. I used roasted cashews, but you can use plain cashews if that is your preference. When using plain cashews, be sure to soak them in water overnight to make digestion easier.
Now, you’re ready for the dressing, which is simply bottled buttermilk ranch dressing mixed with orange juice. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss, then stir in a can of mandarin oranges that has been drained. And you’re done! Except for the best part – eating this vibrant and delicious salad. This broccoli mango salad is one you’ll make one time, decide you can’t get enough, and you’ll want to make it everyday. I hope you love it as much as I, and be sure to leave a comment with your thoughts. Post your photos of your salad on social media and tag #southerncooked; I’d love to see them. Cheers, friends!
see how to make mango broccoli salad [1 min.]
Mango Broccoli Salad
Yield 8 side-dish servings
A refreshing and delicious summer salad that is fruity, crunchy, zesty, and one you'll make over and over again.
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 large ripe mango, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup bottled buttermilk ranch salad dressing
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin orange sections, drained
- In a large salad bowl, combine broccoli, mango, cashews, and onion.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, stir together ranch dressing and orange juice. Pour over broccoli mixture; toss to coat.
- Gently stir in manadarin orange sections. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 hours.
Variations: For a more tangy dressing, stir together 1 Tablespoon prepared horseradish, 2 Tablespoons orange juice, and 1/2 cup bottled buttermilk ranch salad dressing.
Serving Size 1 side-dish serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 195 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Looking for more springtime salads? Try this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Toasted Almonds.