Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I could eat breakfast for every meal to be honest. I decided to experiment with a new breakfast bread and oh my gosh, I love it! I named it Orange Soda Breakfast Bread because it’s moistened with orange soda and sweet enough for a breakfast bread. It’s soft, chewy, moist, sweet and the glaze on top can be added or left off, but it does add a little something special that reminds me of a breakfast orange roll.
Mango jam or perhaps a citrus lemon marmalade coupled with the orange flavor of the bread would be heavenly, I think. Or, just spread a pat of butter on a slice to blend with the sweetness of the bread. This is the second soda bread I’ve made, the first being a sandwich bread. Give this bread a try for yourself and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. Share this recipe and a photo of your creation on social media and tag #southerncooked. I’d love to see your creations. Cheers, friends!
Orange Soda Breakfast Bread with Orange Glaze
Yield 12 slices
Wake up your day with the sweet scent of this breakfast bread bathed in orange glaze.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce orange soda, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- zest of an orange
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and grease and flour an 8 inch x 4 inch loaf pan. I used a 9 inch x 5 inch pan, so my bread isn't as high as it should be.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in orange soda, orange zest, and sour cream to form a wet, sticky dough.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until golden brown and firm to touch. Let cool in the pan about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack about 30 minutes.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and orange extract until creamy. Drizzle over completely cooled bread loaf.
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Sodium 65 mg
Total Carbohydrates 34.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 3.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.