Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty is one of my favorite books of 2016, and Tom and Jane play significant roles in this story, so I wanted to share a recipe inspired by Tom.
“I hear from Madeline that you’re a baker. So I wanted to get your expert opinion on this new recipe I’m trying. Peach, macadamia nut and lime. Crazy stuff. The lime, I mean.”
Tom and Jane had great chemistry, and I loved reading Tom’s subtle flirtations with Jane. Jane didn’t eat muffins, but she did bake them for everyone else to enjoy. Jane’s name became known for her baking abilities, among other things that I won’t spoil for you, and Tom shared that love of food as he ran the little beachside café called Blue Blues next to Pirriwee Beach in Australia, and he enjoyed experimenting with his culinary skills. These peach and macadamia nut muffins with a lime glaze are easy enough to prepare and are the perfect indulgence while reading Big Little Lies or to share with your book club during your Big Little Lies book club meeting. Bon Appétit!
Peach Macadamia Nut Muffins with Lime
Yield 12 muffins
- 2 to 3 Large peaches
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 2/3 cup Macadamia nuts
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Graciously grease your muffin tin with Crisco.
- Wash and peel peaches. Dice into small pieces about the size of a dime.
- Sift flour and measure 2 1/2 cups after sifted. Reserve 1/4 cup.
- Mix the 1/4 cup flour with peaches and gently stir to coat the peaches. Set aside.
- Combine remaining flour with baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with a fork.
- Melt butter in microwave for 20-30 seconds until melted. Add melted butter to egg and whisk to combine.
- Add vanilla extract, buttermilk and sour cream to the eggs and butter. Use a whisk to whip together all wet ingredients until smooth.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Mix only until combined.
- Fold in peaches and macadamia nuts.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top edge. Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400° F. After 5 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350° F and bake for 15-18 minutes until edges are golden brown. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. Stick the toothpick into the center of the muffin and if it comes out clean, the muffin is done.
- For the glaze, whisk together lime juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins.