Summer is getting closer, and this classic summer treat has gotten an upgrade. A base of peanut butter cookie, the easiest ever chocolate ganache, and the graham cracker cereal topping make Peanut Butter S’mores a simple and tasty recipe the kids will love. You can see the video below of how I made this delicious dessert.
I started with just three ingredients that you’re sure to have in your pantry to make the cookie base – peanut butter, sugar, and only one egg to bind the ingredients. It’s important that you use a real egg and not a substitute to make the base. An egg substitute will not bind the ingredients properly. I then baked the cookie base for 15 minutes until the edges were golden brown. It smelled absolutely delicious.
I followed the cookie with the easiest ganache I’ve ever made using a frozen whipped topping and chocolate chips. It’s important that the whipped topping be frozen when starting the ganache. I nuked the whipped topping and chocolate chips on high in the microwave for two minutes. I checked them after a minute and gave them a good stir. I used dark semi-sweet chips, but you can use whatever your preference. The result is a velvety smooth ganache that smells, looks, and tastes delicious. Be sure to reserve about 1/4 cup of the ganache to drizzle over the final dish.
Next comes the marshmallows and cereal. I used Golden Grahams cereal, but you can easily substitute graham crackers if you prefer. Once you add these toppings, bake again for about 5 minutes until the marshmallows are puffy. I discovered that it’s best to push the cereal a little into the melted marshmallows if you plan to cut the s’mores into bars. Otherwise, the cereal is loose and will fall everywhere when trying to take the s’mores out of the pan. After cooling for a few minutes, drizzle the pan with the reserved chocolate and get ready to eat!
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on social media and pin it to Pinterest. Show off your pictures of your own Peanut Butter S’mores on social media and tag #southerncooked. I’d love to see your creations.
Peanut Butter S'mores
Yield 24 bars
Summer’s official dessert gets an irresistible upgrade with a peanut butter cookie base that you have to try to believe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 large container frozen whipped topping
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine peanut butter, sugar, and egg into cookie dough. Press dough into greased 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Pour frozen whipped topping and chocolate chips into microwave safe bowl and heat on medium for 2 minutes, checking and stirring after 1 minute. Stir until smooth and into a somewhat thick ganache, yet easy enough to pour. Reserve 1/4 cup. Pour remaining ganache over warm cookie base.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over chocolate. Sprinkle cereal over marshmallows.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed. Let cool 15 minutes. Drizzle reserved ganache over bars. Cool completely about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Cut into 6 rows by 4 rows for bars.
Quick tip: If the ganache has cooled and stiffened too much, you can always gently reheat it in the microwave for 30 seconds until it reaches the proper consistency.
Serving Size 1 bar
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrates 32 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.