It gets really hot in Tennessee during the summer months, so I don’t always feel like turning on the oven or standing over a stove. On those days, there is nothing that satisfies my hunger like a good salad. This spinach pomegranate chicken salad on a bed of red cabbage and laced with feta cheese is always a good choice for any season. It’s a fast, delicious, and healthy meal.
The prep for this salad couldn’t be easier and only takes 20 minutes. I suggest wearing restaurant grade gloves when peeling and cutting the pomegranate to prevent staining your hands. Lesson learned the hard way. I like to prep my meals for the week on Sunday afternoons. I usually spend an hour or so cooking, prepping, and packing lunches for the week. I can grab a lunchbox out of the refrigerator each morning and go; it can’t be more simple than that. Of course, I always pack my dressing separate. No one likes a soggy salad.
I added apples the first go around of making this dish but decided I didn’t like the apple flavor against the basil and vinaigrette. You can always add a few diced or slices of apple if you prefer. The balsamic vinaigrette adds just enough tang to the flavor to give a little punch to the taste buds. Of course you can use any dressing of your choice, and it will be just as delicious. If you aren’t a Feta fan, substitute another cheese that’s to your liking. The salad’s aesthetic is very appealing, and food always seems to taste a little better when it’s pretty. Don’t you think?
Spinach Pomegranate Chicken Salad
Yield 4 servings
This spinach pomegranate chicken salad on a bed of red cabbage and laced with feta cheese is fast, delicious, and healthy.
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- 1 handful fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- Wash cabbage and remove outer leaves and core; cut into thin slices about 1/4 inch thick
- Peel and slice the red onion and separate into rings
- Peel one pomegranate and separate the seeds
- Chop basil and cooked chicken
- Wash spinach leaves and pat dry with paper towel
Layer the salad
- Add a layer of cabbage to the bottom of a medium sized bowl
- Add a layer of spinach leaves
- Top with chicken, basil, onion, and walnuts
- Crumble feta cheese and sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the top
- Add balsamic vinaigrette and toss thoroughly
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
Quick tip: Fresh herbs can be kept for longer periods when washed, wrapped in a paper towel, then placed in a plastic bag and sealed, and placed in the very back of the lowest shelf in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information is based on a salad with baked, boneless, skinless, chicken breast and all other ingredients listed.
Courses Lunch or Dinner
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20.9 g
Saturated Fat 4.4 g
Cholesterol 17 mg
Sodium 360 mg
Total Carbohydrates 7.1 g
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 35.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.