In the South, sweet potatoes grow in just about every garden every spring. They are a great staple for pies, casseroles, side dishes, and snacks. These sweet potato fries are an upgrade from the usual French fries and are a healthy addition to any meal or alone as a snack.
Preparation is a snap for these tender and juicy fries. Simply peel and cut the potatoes into quarter-inch strips, mix the oil and spices, and toss the potatoes to coat. Be extra careful when cutting sweet potatoes and make sure your knife is very sharp. Sweet potatoes are much more difficult to cut than other potatoes and can easily cause a knife to get stuck or slip. I tend to slice the potatoes in half before cutting into strips to prevent an accident. Bake the potatoes on a sheet pan until tender and brown around the edges. Be sure to toss the potatoes a couple of times while baking to insure they’re evenly cooked through.
This recipe makes tender sweet potato fries, but if your preference is a crispy fry (I love those, too!), then skip peeling the potatoes. Be sure to wash the potatoes and dry them well before cutting if you choose to not peel them. There’s a lot of nutrition in the peelings, so no worries about eating the peel. Also, deep-frying the potatoes will yield crispy fries.
I love these potatoes so much to snack on while watching T.V. or reading. I hope you love them, too. If you try this recipe, leave a comment. Share a photo of your fries on social media and tag #southerncooked; I’d love to see your creation. Happy snacking, friends.
Sweet Potato Fries
Yield 4 servings
Upgrade your French fries with these sweet and spicy sweet potato fries.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4 inch strips. Potatoes must be dry.
- Add oil and spices to a medium size bowl and mix well. Toss the potatoes in the oil and spice mixture until well coated.
- Add potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing twice during baking, or until tender and golden brown on the edges.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Variation: For crispy sweet potato fries, rinse and dry potatoes and do not peel. Potatoes can be baked or deep fried until crisp and golden brown.
Serving Size 1/4 of potatoes
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Sodium 618.9 mg
Total Carbohydrates 14.7 g
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 1.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.